Pine Knot Elementary
Parent and Family Engagement Policy
Title I, Part A
Parents serve as a key shareholder in the educational processes of the students attending Pine Knot Elementary. The Parent and Family Engagement Policy of Pine Knot Elementary ensures equitable participation in the planning, reviewing, and implementing of all parent programs and activities.
A parent is legally defined as a biological parent, step-parent, or a foster parent of a student or a person who has legal custody of a student pursuant to a court order and with whom the student resides. For the purpose of this policy, parent encompasses all family situations.
PARENT ENGAGEMENT DEFINITION
Parent involvement is best defined as any time a parent commits to assisting his/her child in learning and achieving academically to a higher level with greater interest and motivation.
Parent involvement can be accomplished in a variety of ways, which include the following:
• reading together at home with your children,
• developing your expectations for your child and communicating these expectations to your child, as well as communicating your support in helping your child achieve these expectations,
• communicating positive values such as respect, hard work, and responsibility,
• providing your child with positive encouragement when he/she achieves certain goals,
• speaking with your child’s teacher on a regular basis and offering any assistance that the teacher may suggest,
• becoming involved in the school’s PTO or SBDM council and/or committees, and
• discussing your child’s assessment scores after receiving the scores and an explanation of them from the school.
Pine Knot Elementary, along with the district Federal Programs’ Coordinator, shall convene an annual meeting at a time that is convenient for parents. All parents are invited and encouraged to attend. At this meeting, parents and families will be informed of the school’s participation in a Title I School-wide Program, the purpose and requirements of Tile I, and their right to be involved. Particular attention shall be given to reaching those parents who are economically disadvantaged, are disabled, have limited English proficiency, have limited literacy, or are of any racial or ethnic minority background.
Pine Knot Elementary shall engage parents in an organized, ongoing, and timely manner in the Title I planning, review, and improvement of programs; this includes the joint development of the school parent and family engagement policy.
SCHOOL –FAMILY COMPACT
Pine Knot Elementary and the parents of the students participating in the activities, services, and programs agree that improved student achievement is a shared responsibility. Pine Knot Elementary and its parents will build and develop a partnership that will assist students in achieving proficiency.
Pine Knot Elementary will …
• provide high quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment that enables the participating students to meet Kentucky’s student academic achievement standards,
• communicate clear expectations,
• utilize research-based materials and methods,
• provide a safe, positive, and healthy learning environment for each student, and
• address the individual needs of each student.
Parents will …
• ensure their child attends school regularly, is punctual, and prepared to learn,
• create an atmosphere that supports learning,
• encourage their child to demonstrate respect for school personnel, classmates, and school property,
• remain informed about their child’s education,
• model respect by going to the teacher first regarding concerns, and
• guarantee that any homework assignments are neat and complete.
Students will …
• come to school on time and be prepared to learn,
• obey all school and classroom rules,
• pay attention to their teachers, tutors, and family members and ask for help when needed, and
• commit to learning and do their best work each day.
Any parent wishing to serve as a parent volunteer in the school must complete a criminal background check and attend confidentiality training.
Any comments or concerns regarding Pine Knot Elementary’s Parent and Family Engagement Policy shall be submitted to the McCreary County Public Schools’ Federal Programs’ Coordinator, Mrs. Jennifer Akin. She can be reached at (606) 376-2591.
The effectiveness of this policy shall be evaluated through the school improvement planning process. Date Adopted: 2021